>> Monday, February 21, 2011
Yep, it's that time of year...the time of year when I check the bank account at least once a day waiting for that magical tax return money to be deposited!! The sad part is that no matter how big that number initially may sound, when we start putting it on paper, it is gone WAAAYYYY too soon...at least that's how it works around here...For my top 10 Tuesday, I decided to let you all in on where that money is going in our household...
1. Pay bills...I don't know about y'all, but money is tight around here, and this money is very much needed...
2. New Carpet...the carpet in our living and dining room is dingy blue...I am sure at some point it looked nice, however, it was getting old when we moved in, and now 8 years later it has the wrinkles, and will not come clean...
3. New Curriculum!! This is one I am MAJORLY excited about!! We have decided to go with Sonlight for our curriculum! I am going to order both the P4/5 and K cores...I am planning to teach mainly from the K core, however that will give me the option to supplement some P4/5 with Bubba B.
4. Princess K's dentist Appointment
5. Kota's Vet Appointment (including the soon to come snip snip)
6. I am splurging this year on ME!! I am saving up to buy a new DSLR since mine bit the dust last September, so I am putting a little of the tax return in my camera savings for my happy birthday to me! LOL
7. Paint for the Dining Room/School Room and Living room
If we have extra money, it will go towards...
8. Kota's training...he is a good boy in general, however some obedience training will be welcome
9. Lawn Mower...I really want an electric mower, however I am torn because I would love to have a John Deere mower *blush*
10. Kids Clothes...they have some things, but I still need to get their main wardrobe for the season...It would be nice to be able to get it done in one big shopping trip instead of getting a piece here and there...
Do you look forward to tax time?? What is your splurge his year?
>> Monday, February 14, 2011
So after talking about it for months and months, we finally kicked DirecTv to the curb and went satellite/cable free about 2 months ago, and so far we love it!! Now before you go thinking we are insane, or have gone TV free, that is not the case. (Although I think people who have gone Tv free in their homes are awesome) :) The kids still have a Tv in their room so they can watch PBS kids and DVD's. On that note I generally prefer PBS kids, and that is majority of what they watch by far. In the living room we have our Apple TV hooked up, as well as have a blueray player, xbox 360, and Wii.
So far we really like the Apple TV for playing both itunes and our streaming netflix shows and movies. Also the Apple TV gives me access to podcasts, internet radio (I can listen to KLove on my TV which is awesome), and flickr (We have a screen saver of some of my flickr pics which plays when we have something paused for a while or are listening to the radio/podcasts). One thing I don't quite understand, and do miss is the ability to play my audiobooks through the apple TV. I am a member of Audible, and generally listen to my books through itunes. For some reason even though itunes will seamlessly import the audible books, and you can play them on any ipod/iphone, Apple TV does not support the file format...it's just weird.
Although there have been a few times when there was something on TV we wanted to watch, however when you think about the money we are saving, whatever it was doesn't seem so important anymore. :)
>> Tuesday, February 8, 2011
Hey y'all! I can't be the only one who wishes I could rent a time machine (or the Tardis) and go back to my childhood to collect my favorite kids shows and toys...although some things (like the teal and black skirt with polka dots the size of baseballs)...well some things should die a peaceful death and never be spoken of again.
Anywho in honor of participating in my first ever Top Ten Friday, here is a list (in no particular order) of some of my favorite shows as a kid.
1. HeMan and SheRa (I know they were different shows, but they went together and I watched them both...AND I needed another slot in my top 10 list, so I combined them) LOL
4. My Little Pony (AGAIN the original one)
5. Hey Dude
9. Tiny Toon Adventures
Ok, so I know I missed a TON of great shows...what were your favorite shows growing up??